Friday, March 13, 2009

Newsletter #00013

Number 13. A dozen. But only if you're a baker. Otherwise, too bad.

If you read Josh's last newsletter you'd get the reference in the above comment. If not, go read it.

Alright everyone, so for my second newsletter I was lucky enough to get to post it on Friday the 13th, one of my favorite days of the year, which today also just so happens to be my half birthday. Go figure. If you can't tell, I'm not superstitious at all. Which is probably a really good thing because in 2013 my birthday will be Friday the 13th.

Anyways, moving on.

So today in school I was in math class and we were learning long and synthetic division of polynomials (If you haven't taken Algebra II yet you probably won't understand this). Anyways, Mrs. Daigle was explaining synthetic division (for like the 3rd time this year), and she said how it could only be done if you were dividing by a linear equation (ex. x-2), hence the reason it is so important that you learn long division for other problems where you have an x^2 or x^3.

Of course, me, being as stubborn as I am, decided that there had to be a way to do it with non-linear equations, so I made one up and it works, as far as Josh and I can tell (since he helped me test them once I figured it out), every single time. I'd explain how you do it here, but it would take some diagramming and lots of explaining I don't want to do.

All very random, I realize, but I just thought it was kinda neat (actually that's a lie. I now consider myself to be a genius!!) My next plan of course it to use my synthetic division to completely eradicate long division from the world. Muahhahahaha!

Ok, not really.

Relating to this whole math thing, Lauren Piantedosi made some interesting comments relating life to sitcoms. Basically it went something along the lines of this:

She told me that I was like one of the main characters in a sitcom (a sitcom based off of her life, I mean. haha) So you know how in some episodes of sitcoms or w/e, one of the main characters is said to be "on vacation" or doing something else like curing cancer or something and that's why they aren't on the show for awhile? Well that's what Lauren compared my spending all my time doing this math thing in school today too, since we have basically all of our classes together and it was only in band that I realized I hadn't really seen her much the entire day.

She of course followed this up by saying that usually when a main character returns from curing cancer or whatever they were supposedly doing while they were away, it always ends up bad. Like the cure for cancer is stolen by another character's monkey or something. Of course, if something like that were to happen to me and my new synthetic division method, I might actually start believing that Friday the 13th is bad luck. Until then, I would also like to think that life is not a sitcom as Lauren believes. Especially since my life is not nearly as interesting, or comedic as most sitcoms are.

Something I really wanted to talk about today is global warming. I was doing a current event today about it and it got me thinking about it again. First of all, for any of you who haven't seen Al Gore's movie An Inconvenient Truth, do it. Like really. Go rent it right this instant and watch it.

Ok, not really right this second, but if you haven't you definitely should see it. I remember watching it in 8th grade and feeling genuinely frightened for our planet and upset with the human race for the destruction we've brought on.




Look at this polar bear everyone. This is what's happening because we aren't taking action. This picture actually reminds me of when I was model congress earlier this year with the debate team. One kid was trying to defend his bill which would help with global warming. Basically, he asked to be able to ask 3 questions to the person opposing his bill. The three questions were:

1) Does the delegate like polar bears?
2) Does the delegate think polar bears are cute?
3) Does the delegate wish for all polar bears to die?

If you as readers answered yes to either question 1 or 2 or no to question 3, then like me, you should be very concerned with the effects of global warming, because if we don't take action, all polar bears will die.

Grim yes, but it stands a good chance of coming true. Especially if we don't take action. Granted, I myself could be doing more, like using my laptop less or cutting down on my shower time, but idk it still seems like there's something more that can be done. (BTW I would be interested in doing something to raise awareness of global warming or some kind of drive or just something if anyone has any ideas)

Speaking as I just was of wanting to play some part in the prevention of worse global warming leads me to another topic in life, and that's purpose. No, I don't just mean like what purpose God plays in your life (if you are religious). For me personally, I'm not religious at all. Despite that, I really want to do something that will get me recognized in my life. Right now I'm aiming towards writing a book that inspires somebody, or making some great discovery or something, but it would be cool someday to maybe like visit Africa and help children in need there, or like do something else to help somebody in the world.

What do you think? Do you ever feel like sometimes you need to do something significant in life in order to be satisfied with it, or do you not care?

Ok, finally to finish this up for today I have some funny anagrams for you that somebody showed to me today and here they are. Enjoy!

Dormitory: Dirty Room
The Country Side: No City Dust Here
Desperation: A Rope Ends It
The Morse Code: Here Come Dots
Slot Machines: Cash Lost in'em
Conversation: Voices Rant On
Heavy Rain: Hire a Navy
Mother-in-law: Woman Hitler
Funeral: Real Fun
Snooze Alarms: Alas! No More Z's
A Decimal Point: I'm a Dot in Place
Statue of Liberty: Built to Stay Free
Eleven plus two: Twelve plus one
David Letterman: Nerd Amid Late TV
Howard Stern: Retard Shown
Debit card: Bad Credit

Oh yeah. One last thing. Once again I'm just tagging basically whoever Josh did. If you want to be added/ removed from that list for my newsletter just let me know and I'll be happy to accommodate.

March 13-2009
-By Kasey

No comments:

Post a Comment