Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Newsletter #00052

Finally past 50, I can't believe we've made it this far! Good job Brad and Kasey! =]

If you enjoy writing, and have ever wanted to write a novel, then there is something that you should try. It is called National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo. This takes place in the month of November, every year. The goal of NaNoWriMo is to have a person write a short novel, containing 50,000 words. You can write about whatever you want to, and just have fun with it. Now, this seems like a lot, but it is possible to do. You get the entire month of November to write this, and you can outline beforehand what you'd write about. It is really good to do, and if you like writing, a challenge to try. I plan on trying it myself this November, and Kasey might too. If you want more information about NaNoWriMo, go to:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/


Now, another tool with writing that I discovered is called Write or Die. I heard about it before, but I was finally able to find the link. The link is:
http://lab.drwicked.com/writeordie.html
This is a very interesting tool. There are three different modes, and they are: Gentle Mode, Normal Mode, and Kamikaze mode. Once you start writing in one of the modes, you need to continue. In gentle mode, you just get a small reminder to continue typing. In normal mode, an annoying noise sounds and it won't stop unless you keep writing. For kamikaze mode, if you stop writing long enough, what you've typed starts to get deleted. This is a good tool if you find yourself getting easily distracted while writing, or you seem to get writer's block. It helps you overcome those, and it works really well. I was able to write 600 words in 20 minutes, and though my story was kinda warped and choppy, it was still a story. And I went in having no idea what to write about. It's a lot of fun to do.


Something that I discovered online was a blog about the Sims. Now, this may sound geekish, but I find it to be interesting. It's about a person who owns the Sims 3, which recently came out for the computer. The person who writes the blog created two homeless Sims, an insane, improper, angry father with a kind, unlucky, clumsy daughter. Then he left them to their own free will, then created a story out of what they did. It's an amusing story, and if you'd want to read it, the link is:
http://aliceandkev.wordpress.com/
Kinda strange to read a story about make-believe people, but it gave me some laughs. Maybe you'll find it interesting too.


A game that a friend showed me online is about selling lemonade, and it's a fun game to try and do, I can never seem to make a big profit though. =P See if you can do any better.
http://lemonadestandgame.com/


Anyone know where I can get a job? If anyone is hiring? I'd take any job! =D

Well, that's my newsletter for today. Check out some links and maybe you'll find some stuff you're interested in.

Quote:
Holding onto anger is like grasping onto a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else. You are the one who gets burned.
- Gautama Buddha

July 8-2009
-By Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment