Saturday, June 6, 2009

Newsletter #00040

So I am going to put out this newsletter before I go to graduation, in case I forget to do one tonight. I wouldn't want Brad the Newsletter Nazi to yell at me. (haha, jk Brad! =P) Oh, and I've added a few more people to the list of who I'm tagging in these newsletters based on who has joined our newsletter group, so if you don't want to be tagged, just let me know.

Before I get to what I really want to put in this newsletter, I want to talk a bit about humor. Obviously we all find different things funny. Some people like gross humor, some like stupid humor (think Superbad...) and others, like me, enjoy humor that makes you think. (yes I know, most of you probably don't like to think when you're laughing, you just enjoy laughing).

Anyways, last week if you read my newsletter I addressed gay marriage and promised Alex I would do another newsletter on it. I still intend to do it, but probably not for awhile since I don't want it to be overkill. However, I recently became a huge fan of this guy from California who goes by the name of Cheeks. He is a gay man, and he makes hilarious videos. Some are kinda political and others are just funny. But there is one I really think you should all watch and I am going to post a link to it here. (BTW, if anyone knows/ can figure out a way to embed the video in this note, that would be great).

Basically this video is in response to the Ms. California controversy (for those of you uninformed, Perez Hilton asked her at the pageant if all states should follow Vermont's example and legalize gay marriage). This video isn't really addressing her own personal beliefs so much as what else she said. Its incredibly funny and I've watched it like a million times so you should all watch it too. The link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWH2NXdZ7O8

Like humor that makes you think, I also love anything at all that really gets you thinking or inspired. For example, I was watching The Dead Poet's Society movie last night, and that was a movie that really gets you inspired I think. Robin William's character emphasizes to his students the phrase Carpe Diem, or seize the day.

That has actually always been one of my favorite quotes, or sayings or whatever you will call it. Recently I've realized that much of what I do in life, in school and outside of it, isn't anything I enjoy doing. I want to live a life that has meaning to it, whether I find it through creating something with my writing, or helping somebody out. I really think that's one of the reasons I enjoy doing this newsletter so much- even if no one is reading it, I can express my opinions and hopefully influence those of you who are reading this to think about things you don't normally think about, or perhaps introduce you to something you've never seen, or read, or heard about before.

This goes for me too. I know that I hope you all watch the video I posted, and maybe even watch the rest of Cheeks' videos if you are a fan. Just as I hope that some of you will like steampunk since I wrote about it, or read Cory Doctorow's book Little Brother since I talked about that too. But just as I write these suggestions of things for you all, I would love to hear any suggestions from you. If you come across a video, or a story that makes you think, or laugh, or just appreciate life, I'd love to hear about it, because I'm always up for new stuff like that.

And while I'm on a role, here's some other stuff I think you should all check out:

1) Mental- alright, so if you are a fan of House, this show is for you. If you aren't, well, check it out anyways. Mental is a new summer show (Tuesday nights on FOX at 9 pm) that is about a very unconvential doctor in a mental hospital. It's funny, its creative, and I can't get enough of it. Plus, if you feel the desire to start watching it, you can check out the first two episodes on Hulu.com.

2) Givesmehope.com- This site is kinda like Fmylife.com, except that its for inspirational, happy, uplifting stories. Check it out if you wish, its kinda cool and some of the stories are really touching, like this one:

"A girl I went to high school with was diagnosed with Leukemia her Junior year. She lost all of her hair due to the chemotherapy and was pretty upset about it. One day, eight of her closest friends came to school with shaved heads, saying it was just hair and who cared- bald is the new in."

3) My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult- I just had to throw this one in here since the movie based off of this book is coming to theaters June 26. For those of you who haven't ever read anything by Jodi Picoult, she writes books with sensitive topics, usually things that make you think. I've only read a few of her books, but this one is my favorite so far. Basically it is the story of a girl Anna, who was created with specific DNA so that she would be the perfect donor for her sister with Leukemia. For years she donates bone marrow and organs and whatever else to her terminally ill sister, until the day she decides she's had enough and decides to sue her parents for the rights to her own body.

This book is a touching story about a family torn apart from their love of a child with cancer, and their love for their other child who just wants the choice of whether or not to donate organs. This book is an amazing book, that I highly recommend you all check out, or at least watch the movie when it comes into theaters, because the previews look great so far.

Ok, well that's all I've got for today. Sorry about the lack of an actual topic. I hope whoever reads this checks out at least one of the things I've mentioned today because they're all pretty cool. And if any of you have any suggestions for me of things I should check out, feel free to post them in your comments.

June 6-2009
-By Kasey

No comments:

Post a Comment