Thursday, February 5, 2009

Newsletter #00003

This is the third edition of Brad and mine's newsletters. On this newsletter, I will be focusing on two main subjects. This isn't going to be about random things, though I would like to do that. =] For this one, I will be focusing on Circles, and their Imperfections. After I am done thoroughly discussing that, I will move on to talking about the Universe, and it's existence. Not necessarily what I talked about last time, though in a way it could be tied into this.

Circles
Now, there is some opposition on the topic I am about to discuss. I believe that a perfect circle cannot exist. That is to say, a circle where every point along the circumference is exactly equidistant from the center is impossible. I have a multitude of reasons behind this, and I shall go about listing them. However, I would advise you not to make your decision on whether you agree with me or not until you read Brad's Newsletter on Tuesday the 10th. I'm sure he'll have his opinion posted on it, if he and Tim don't start against me through comments. But whatever happens, happens. I welcome opposition against this, but if there are any converts, then YAY! One more for me =D

First off, I will disprove them mathematically. If you remember from math class, the circumference is found by using this equation:

2 • pi • r = C

If you were to put in any real number, let's say 5. You would do 5 • 2 is 10, multiplied by pi is approximately equal to:

31.415926535879323.....

As you can see, it is an infinitesimal decimal. It goes on forever and forever. You can not make something that has an infinite numbers. Just like you cannot draw a line that represents infinity. It continues forever. So, by basic math, a perfect circle is rendered obsolete.

But of course their are arguments against that. Math, believe it nor not, does have its discrepancies and gray areas. What I'm discussing right now is one of the few spots. Hopefully I'll talk about more in the future. But back to my arguments. If you were to cut down the circle you have down to the atom, you could still not make it perfect. If you have learned anything on atoms, you know they are made up of layers, and aren't perfect circles. And if you think about it, try putting two circles together. Overlap them to try and make a bigger curve. You can't, because if they are perfect and the exact same size, then you will only get one circle on another. If you move it off a little bit, there is a slight dip in it.

You cannot continue a curve to make a curve. It will not work. It will NOT be perfect. So atoms, being somewhat circular, will behave just like those. And atoms will not be able to line up properly to form the just perfect curve. Atoms are bumpy, and don't go together uniformly. That is why there is no such thing as a flat surface. Because atoms are bumpy. So if you down to the atoms of a circle, you will see squiggly lines, not a perfect curve. Once again, this proves that a perfect circle does not exist.

Against what I've been saying, I do believe that in theory a perfect circle would be able to exist. However, it just can't in our dimension/universe.

My concluding remarks are that you do not judge on what you have just read, but wait until either Brad or Tim come back with a rebuttal against this to hear their point. But that is my view on the Perfect Circle.

The Universe
The universe that we live in is quite an interesting place. We have so many things in it, we cannot fathom all at once that exists. We have stars, planets, elements, life, rocks, all placed throughout space that amounts to more you could ever think of. Now, the most popular theory currently on how the universe was created, other than religious means, is the Big Bang Theory (which is also a comedic television show on CBS on Mondays at 8:00PM EST).

The BBT is on how everything that we think of right now was crammed into a very very very very little space, smaller than a fingernail, and then BOOM! Our universe. But some scientists believe that due to the rate of expansion due to the amount of energy released, we are expanding too fast for us to cave back into the middle, and repeat the cycle. However, I do not believe that will happen. After watching the National Geographic (or was it the Science Channel?) special on black holes, I have a theory on what will happen.

Every star will die. That is a fact. They will eventually stop their fusion, and will expand to find more fuel. Once it can't expand any more, it caves in on itself, spreading itself out in an explosion and losing all but the core. If the star is big enough, the cave in may be big enough to crush the center of the star into a black hole.A black hole is an area of super-dense matter, that has an amazingly high gravitational field, so much that light is bent and twisted, and that once it passes the field-of-no-return, it is sucked in. But after watching the special, I learned that the current theory on the black hole is that in the center, the matter is not destroyed, but just converted. It is put into Hawking Radiation. As the black hole is "fed" by objects, it gains energy. But in order to remain stable, it transforms energy into radiation, which is Hawking radiation, named after Stephen Hawking who theorized it. So, essentially, if it keeps emitting radiation, it will "evaporate". This is where I differ somewhat from it.

After this point, it is said that the black hole will evaporate, and disappear. I think that will happen, but as it emits radiation, it sends it somewhere. So, eventually that will be captured by another black hole. It will just repeat. But now what if all there is is radiation? Well, everything emits some gravitational pull. So why they are transferring radiation back and forth, they are all slowly moving towards each other. They will eventually form one big black hole. They will be pulled towards each other. Now, once all there is left is one big black hole, it will collapse in on itself, due to the mass of itself. Once it collapses, what do you know, big boom. Therefor, Big Bang. Rinse and repeat.

Now, as I've wrote that, I've realized there are some problems. I'm assuming the universe is finite, and that black holes behave the way I want them to. If they don't, well, I hope that something else brings them together and big bang. Else, within 1,000 years, if we don't colonize the universe through space travel, the human race will be gone. I don't think we can last another 1,000 years in our current worldly state.

As a note, I wrote that as one big paragraph. However, I broke it up so that way it will be a little easier to read. And that is my theory on creation of the universe. At least at this moment. It may change tomorrow. Or not.

Overall, I didn't enjoy writing about the universe as I thought I would. Sorry if it doesn't turn out to be in top quality, my mind doesn't seem to be right currently. But I'll end with a riddle. See if you can determine the answer.

Which of the following is true?

The statement below is false.
The statement above is true.

February 5-2009
-by Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment